Blender 3D is one of the most popular and versatile open source 3D creation tools in the world. Whether you are a hobbyist, a professional, or somewhere in between, you probably want to keep up with the latest developments and features that Blender has to offer. In this blog post, we will give you some tips on how to stay on top of the latest trends in Blender 3D and make the most out of this amazing software.
Follow the Official Blender News
The first and most obvious source of information about Blender is the official website: blender.org. Here you can find news, announcements, releases, tutorials, showcases, and more. You can also subscribe to the Blender newsletter to get monthly updates on what’s happening in the Blender world.
One of the most exciting news for 2023 is the list of projects that Blender Foundation has announced for this year. Some of these projects include:
- Vulkan and Metal: Blender developers are working on migrating from OpenGL to Vulkan, the cross-platform successor to OpenGL, which will improve performance and enable new features like ray-tracing. Apple engineers are also working on making Blender fully compatible with the Metal graphics API on macOS.
- Realtime Viewport Compositing: This project will add a new compositor backend that will use GPU acceleration to apply the result of the compositing nodes directly in the 3D viewport. This will allow artists to start compositing without waiting for a full render, for faster and more interactive iterations.
- Brush Assets: The asset system and browser will fully support brushes for painting and sculpting. This will make it easy to use, make and share bundles of brushes with others.
- Blender Apps: Blender will enable users to create custom tools or complete experiences using Python scripting and bundling .blend files (assets, data). This will open up new possibilities for using Blender as a platform for creating interactive content.
- Extensions Platform: Blender Foundation will launch an official community-moderated website for sharing, discovering and downloading add-ons, themes, and asset libraries. The extensions site will only offer GNU GPL compliant software or CC-BY–SA compatible content, and no commercialization will happen on the platform.
- EEVEE Next: Blender’s realtime rendering engine EEVEE will continue to evolve and improve, adding support for more features such as volumetrics, shadows, reflections, refractions, subsurface scattering, motion blur, depth of field, bloom, glare, etc.
You can read more about these projects on this page.
Join the Blender Community
Another great way to stay on top of the latest trends in Blender 3D is to join the vibrant and diverse Blender community. There are many ways to connect with other Blender users and enthusiasts online:
- Forums: You can join forums such as Blender Artists, Blender Stack Exchange, Blender Nation, or Reddit to ask questions, share your work, get feedback, learn from others, or just chat about anything related to Blender.
- Social Media: You can follow Blender on various social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, or LinkedIn to get updates, tips, tricks, inspiration, or fun content.
- Discord: You can join the official Blender Discord server or one of the many unofficial servers dedicated to specific topics or languages. Discord is a great place to chat with other users in real time, get help, share your work, join events, or just hang out.
- Meetups: You can also meet other Blender users in person by joining or organizing local meetups. You can find existing meetups or create your own on platforms such as Meetup.com or Eventbrite. Meetups are a great way to network, learn from each other, collaborate on projects, or just have fun.
Experiment with New Features
Finally, one of the best ways to stay on top of the latest trends in Blender 3D is to experiment with new features yourself. Blender is constantly evolving and adding new features and improvements, and you can try them out before they are officially released by downloading the latest builds from the Buildbot. These builds are updated daily and contain the latest changes from the developers. However, they are also unstable and may contain bugs or errors, so use them at your own risk and always backup your files.
You can also check out the Code Blog to get a glimpse of what the developers are working on and what features are planned for future releases. You can also give feedback or suggestions on the Right-Click Select website, where users can propose and vote on ideas for Blender.
By experimenting with new features, you can learn new skills, discover new possibilities, and create amazing things with Blender 3D.
Blender 3D is a powerful and versatile software that is constantly evolving and improving. To stay on top of the latest trends in Blender 3D, you should follow the official Blender news, join the Blender community, and experiment with new features. By doing so, you will be able to make the most out of this amazing software and create stunning 3D content. Happy blending!